A non-custodial parent may be the father or the mother, and the other parent may be the custodial parent who has primary responsibility over the care of their child. If you’re in this situation, you need to know your rights as a non-custodial parent, and you also need to be aware of what your obligations are so that you can avoid possible legal trouble with the courts. A Houston family attorney will be able to help if you have questions about your responsibilities or if you need help enforcing these responsibilities in court.

You’ll face unique challenges

Being the non-custodial parent can be tough. You may not have a say in decisions that are made for your children. If you want more involvement in your kids’ lives, consider going back to court to ask for more visitation time or more input in their life.

Get financial advice specific to your situation

As a non-custodial parent, you may want to consider getting a lawyer or financial advisor who specializes in this area. They can help you make sure that your rights are protected and ensure that you receive proper child support payments. If you do not have enough income to provide for both yourself and your child, then it may be time for you to look into filing for bankruptcy.

houston family attorney

Hire an attorney with experience in your state

There are a number of things you need to be aware of if you are the non-custodial parent. A good first step is hiring a Houston family attorney that has experience in your state with custody cases. The attorney will be able to provide guidance on what is required for a petition as well as any potential pitfalls or obstacles.

Understand the laws of your state

Every state has different laws that govern divorce and child custody. It is important to know what they are and how they apply to you. First, find out if you will be the primary residential parent and have legal custody of your children or if you are going to share joint custody of your children with your ex-spouse. If one parent is granted sole legal custody and physical custody of the children in a divorce decree, then he or she has more rights than a non-custodial parent does.

Keep up with your child’s schedule

It is important that you communicate with the other parent and keep up with your child’s schedule. If you are unable to reach them or they are not responding, try contacting their employer and/or school.